Saturday, October 16, 2010

Long-Distance Running

In support of LEAN Challenge, I’ve decided to focus my thoughts on what I consider to be one of the most difficult sports to engage in. Few athletes have participated in long-distance running. Fewer still have mastered or even done well in this sport.

I’ve always been impressed with an athlete who can run a marathon, a half-marathon, or even a 10K. Personally, anything more than the required thirty minutes of activity three times a week is a struggle for me. There’s something about a long-distance runner that I admire; they can’t fake it. They either finish the race or stop. They can’t sit-back and be covered by a teammate. There are no “bad games” for a runner or everyone knows who’s at fault. I’m not looking down at team sports, in fact one of my favorite quotes is from Coach Mitchell, “All you need to know in life you learn playing basketball.” This may be true for some, but I played basketball and have had bad games – and still my team won. Rather, I’m speaking to the preparation that is required to run a marathon: planning, mind-set, pace, collaboration of information, discipline, and the ability to listen to a coach.

Coincidentally, this is also what it takes to be a great teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment