Friday, March 18, 2011

Ten Things We Should Unlearn (or at least ponder)

  1. Teachers know all the answers. If this were true, then why do companies produce a teacher edition? Some of my best lessons were developed from a student asking a question and my reply of, “I don’t know, let’s figure this out.” I don’t know anyone who has ALL the answers.
  2. Teachers have to control the class. Sage on the stage or guide on the side; there’s a place for both in the classroom. Early in my career I heard, “Trust the Chaos” from a co-worker when I walked into their classroom. I began to embrace opportunities which engaged the students and allowed them to collaborate. A novice observer may have thought that my classroom was not controlled, they would have been wrong. An active class does not mean that a class is out of control.
  3. Teachers are responsible for the learning. In truth, students are responsible for the learning. Teachers are responsible for providing the proper environment, modeling, practice, and engaging activities to enable the child to learn.
  4. Students are obliged to respect teachers. Respect isn’t given, it’s earned. I respect people (students included) who’s actions I admire.
  5. Learning can be measured by a letter or a number. A more precise system would allow us to indicate a level of success for each individual learning standard.
  6. Teachers should plan activities and then assessment. I became a much better teacher when I created the final summative assessment and then developed the learning opportunities. The Understanding by Design (UbD) approach really works!
  7. Learners need to sit quietly and listen. I’m not encouraging free talk and pandemonium, but the only subject matter learned by this is compliance. Brain research has found that we are social creatures (big surprise) and we learn best through collaboration, discussion, and trial.
  8. Technology integration is optional. Is it our task to prepare our students for tomorrow’s world? Do you think that technology is a fad or phase?
  9. Worksheets support learning. What was the last worksheet you filled out? Mine was from the IRS and I didn’t learn much from it. Worksheets provide an opportunity to practice a concept independently, but the application of a concept is when deep learning occurs. A worksheet on its own will soon be forgotten.
  10. A subject must be taught independently to be mastered. Looking back, I must admit that one of my most successful experiences as a teacher was when I used four fictional novels to teach a year-long science class. This included two books by Jean Craighead George, one book by Gary Paulsen, and one by Doctor Seuss.

I hope you enjoy the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment