Thursday, September 1, 2011

Sacred Trust

“A Sacred Trust for educators and parents. We’ve got to be that light.”
-Jeff Goldstein

The excitement and anxiety surrounding the beginning of school is an experience which I relish. Colorful notebooks, fresh pencils, new clothes, and the smells of floor wax and cleaner all bring me back to fond memories. This is my twentieth year as an educator and I’m as nervous as I was in seventh grade. I walk the halls with great anticipation. Serving the dreams of children is an awesome task and I want to live up to the expectations of our students.

At our first faculty gathering I shared with you a production of symphonyofscience.com. Jeff Goldstein’s keynote address to the NSTA was put to music as a gift to teachers. What a gift! With unwavering script, Jeff points out the magnitude of our position in educating young minds. A Sacred Trust is, quite simply, the best way to characterize the world’s most noble profession.

During our first meeting we discussed many of the converging issues, changes, and challenges facing education at the national, state, local, and building levels. While we brace and prepare, doing more with less, it’s critical to keep Jeff’s simple phrase as our focus. With understanding that our mission is a Sacred Trust, we will weather the changing roles each of us is facing. Further, we will have a better product and process afterwards. While reflecting on Mr. Brady’s admiration of The Greatest Generation and how they may have approached the issues of today, a quote from an unknown member of that generation comes to mind, “Tough times don’t last, tough people do.” We are facing unprecedented changes in education in a post-recessional climate and we will prevail. With our clearly stated mission and the Essential Elements in our pocket, AAK will remain a beacon of excellence for others to follow.

I expect this school year to be exciting. I anticipate each child and their bright expressions as I greet them on Tuesday. I look forward to finding solutions to the unforeseen. I’m curious to see the processes develop with how we accomplish our goals. I want to celebrate success. In summation, I can’t wait for school to start.

Have a great year!

1 comment:

  1. To Principal Cruikshank and to the teachers of A.A. Kingston Middle School-

    You don't know how wonderful it was to see that We've Got To Be That Light was used to help launch your new school year. John Boswell at Symphony of Science and I worked hard to create something that we thought might help in some small way, and then ... we put it out there, not knowing if it would indeed be useful.

    I am proud to be a teacher, and I stand shoulder to shoulder with you and all the wonderful teachers of Potsdam New York. (And I am proud to be a New Yorker (da Bronx))

    Here is something you might enjoy about the Nature of Our Existence, and the sacred role of teachers:

    http://blogontheuniverse.org/drjeff-on-stuff/the-nature-of-our-existence/

    This is why we tell stories. Ths is why we teach.
    To pass a piece of ourselves to the next generation—
    so that the young can aspire to cross frontiers none have crossed before.

    -Jeff:)

    ReplyDelete