Friday, October 7, 2011

A Science Teacher’s transition to the Middle-Level School (Creating an Exciting, Productive Classroom)

By Guest Writer, Lisa Dunkelberg

“Are you crazy? Why do you want to teach that age?”, or the raising of the eyebrows was a common reaction when I told adults about who and what I taught. “Aren’t you afraid of losing all of that?” another person said to me. “Did they force you?” “Do you really want to go?” “I’m sorry!” said another. Let me back up by stating that previous to teaching middle school, I taught high school science in the same district. I had taught Living Environment, Chemistry, and SUPA Forensic Science. Don’t get me wrong, I loved what I taught, but I was looking for something just a little bit more. I also wanted to teach an age in which students still loved coming to school and were willing to try new things. I found it at A. A. Kingston Middle School in Potsdam, NY.

Most of the material and information that I had built up over a number of years while teaching had to go. Some went to colleagues, some to the trash; I kept very little. I knew what students needed to know as far as science curriculum by the time they got to high school. I needed to find out what they knew before they arrived in my middle school classroom. My principal was great by helping me get materials that I needed for the middle school science classroom. We discussed what I would need and use throughout the year. Having an encouraging administration was key to a smooth transition (E.E. 5.12).

My classes consisted of 7th grade science groups, and a 7th grade accelerated group. For the accelerated group, I would teach 7th grade science during semester one and 8th grade science during semester two. Seventh grade science is mostly life science and 8th grade is physical science including physics, chemistry and earth science. I chose a variety of materials that would maintain student interest (E.E. 4.8). I also applied for technology equipment through local grants offered by the Potsdam Teacher’s Learning Center. I received a SmartBoard and Interwrite tablet, as well as an ELMO. These have been well received by students and greatly enhanced learning (E.E. 4.9). What I saw in the middle school far exceeded my expectations.

The climate of our middle school building is one in which students thrive in. It takes the cooperation of many staff members to have a building run efficiently and effectively. As a teacher, working with a great bunch of professionals is key to feeling comfortable, and supported (E.E. 1.4). I love coming to work every day. My classroom consists of single desks and lab stations along the walls. Students usually see me every other day for double periods. Occasionally, I may see all my students for a single period one day a week. This flexible scheduling allows for interdisciplinary team tasks to be accomplished. Assemblies, study skills, guest speakers, state tests, extra work on projects, etc., are to be completed during this “FLEX” period, every other day (E.E 3.3). My students and I enjoy the double periods as we accomplish more than we do with two single periods. We can complete activities, write up labs, and complete experiments, such as dissections, during a double period.

Adolescents are completely different human beings than teenage high school students. They love inquiry-based learning, experimentation, and asking questions. They want to know if what they see on TV is correct. They want to know about themselves and the environment around them. They want to share what they know with you. Students come to my classroom during study halls and ask to help out by watering plants, cleaning glassware, feeding animals, or helping to prep for the next activity. This year, I’m planning a lab assistant program to utilize their excitement. These students will come to my classroom during their free period and help to set up, maintain, or break down labs. If you teach classes that involve labs, you know the work involved in preparing and keeping laboratory experiments. Middle school students love to assist you and want to learn with a hands-on approach. They appreciate the time that you put into your classroom and your work with them (E.E. 1.5). I have high expectations of them and they have high expectations of me.

Materials that I have found effective for demonstrations, labs, activities, and experiments, include those found at garage sales, dollar stores, Wal Mart , and on-line. Asking friends and family members for recycled items is also helpful to stock my shelves. These items are useful such as using empty water bottles, straws, balloons, and elastics to create lungs, and then having students to go home and give it a disease for homework. This is part of the respiratory system unit. The diseased lungs that they bring back are very creative, have a story behind them and they understand how it affects breathing. Students have also created an arthropod of their choice using recycled materials. They loved to share what they made and how they made their animal. During a unit on the skin, students fingerprint themselves and then identify their own characteristics. Plain paper, ink pads, a reference chart, and small magnifying glasses are all that is needed. Students are focused and fascinated at how unique they are. I’m always looking at the core curriculum and my materials to see if I can use them in a way that will reach all learners (E.E. 4.5).

So, do I like teaching at the middle school level? No, I love it! Where else can I teach students that are just as excited as I am about science? I get to teach my favorite subject every day. It’s a lot of work and a lot of time to get to know each and every student, but it is worth it because they respond in a positive way (E.E. 1.5). I am thrilled to implement the new lab assistant program this year (E.E. 5.11). It goes along with so many middle-level essential elements, that I predict it will be successful. I would encourage any high school science teacher to take the challenge of teaching middle-level students. Teaching at A. A. Kingston Middle School has been a very rewarding experience.


References:
New York State Education Department. (2003). Essential Elements of Standards-Focused Middle-Level School and Programs. Retrieved July 22 2010
www.nysmsa.org/displaycommon.cfm?an=1.

No comments:

Post a Comment