Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Are You Bored Reading This?

I must preface this Friday Focus with informing you that I scripted this only after a seventh grade student with learning disabilities said to me, “Look what I did!” Their excitement was palpable as they produced, wrote, spoke, collaborated, organized, and learned.


Sitting and listening can be boring. I’ve actually heard many teachers tell me how awful a professional development opportunity was based on the simple fact that they had to sit and listen. Let’s stop and think about that…

Most people don’t place much time thinking about all the years they spent sitting and listening as children. They’re usually just glad it’s over. As educators, we endeavor to educate children who have an ever broadening spectrum of consumer technology at their fingertips and ever decreasing attention spans. The time-tested methods are no longer sufficient. Now more than ever before, it’s important that we are relevant in the lives of our children.


No comments:

Post a Comment