Friday, January 6, 2012

Dignity for All

Perspective is a great teacher. I learn a lot about ideas, issues, and solutions when I place myself in someone else’s perspective. When facing a conflict, I obtain a better understanding when I assume the place of the other person. Perspective allows me to empathize, listen, and finally to clearly seek a solution. As an extreme example, I was recently faced with a person who was irate and a bit irrational. As my blood pressure increased, I thought about the other person’s circumstances which led to the confrontation. Most of the factors which had an influence on this specific person had nothing to do with me, but I was seeing a convergence of emotions and problems; culminating in a tirade which I was being asked to address.

I find perspective sometimes teaches the lesson which I don’t think I need to learn, too. This humbling experience usually comes to me as a revelation and I am always better because of it.

It’s in my DNA to default to a teacher’s perspective; normally this is exactly what I need to do, but not always. Occasionally, I need to assume and empathize with a Superintendent’s perspective. Other times I find myself placed in the position of a child. What about the perspective of the custodian. A family in generational poverty has a unique perspective, which is very different from a family’s perspective that is experiencing situational poverty. Placing oneself in the perspective of a college professor can be an equally powerful teacher. We can look around at our colleagues, too. What is their perspective?

I find the practice of broadening my perspective to be valuable in most situations. How else could I understand points of view different from my own?

Can there be a lesson in this for you? I believe the answer is clear. Yes. Can there be a lesson in this for your students? While harder to convey and teach to children, the concept of empathy is a lesson we should not avoid. We need to seek-out opportunities to place ourselves in another’s shoes. We also need to find opportunities for our students to do the same.

Enjoy your weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment