Thursday, January 26, 2012

What Makes a Great Lesson?

During the last few months I’ve interested myself with evaluation rubrics, mostly Marzano and Danielson, in a quest to provide feedback for teacher evaluations. Both have excellent guidance and advice for teachers. While my personal preference leads me towards one specific rubric, I do think about the “basic” needs for a classroom lesson. A recent article by WeAreTeachers Blog, shared with me by a colleague, further focused my perspective. This article, The 5 Components of a Great Lesson, explored my query. I would encourage you to read this short entry.

While I agree with WeAreTeachers assessment of the necessary “basics” for a lesson, I tend to think in a more truncated way when I walk into a classroom. Student engagement must be present. Students have to work with the information, manipulate and discuss it. Increasing the level of student engagement isn’t always easy, but it is essential if you plan on having the students develop an understanding of the curriculum. Student engagement transcends instructional methodology. It’s intimately involved in the assessment of students, too. Every student may not love the content, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that they can’t be engaged. A kinesthetic learner may become engaged when showing you their level of knowledge. An auditory learner may have a heightened interest if they are explaining to you what they understand. Students must have an opportunity to demonstrate their level of achievement. Engaging them provides an emotional bond which won’t be forgotten. There are many methods, strategies, and ‘tricks’ to enable a student an opportunity to engage in the curriculum during instruction, practice, and assessment.

I understand that teachers aren’t here to entertain, we are here to teach. How do we best teach a student? Get them engaged with the curriculum through feeding their interest. Entertainment and engagement are alike in that they both attract interest. But, the former serves little intent; the latter provides a heightened access to your curriculum.

So to digress, I fully endorse the entry from WeAreTeachers and encourage you to digest it. But on a more simplistic level, a great lesson is engaging.

Have a wonderful weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment