Friday, March 23, 2012

You Decide

There’s been a lot of talk this year about budgets, CCLS, APPR, SQR, QIP, SINI, and testing, and they are all connected in some form but I took a few minutes to actually think about pedagogical philosophies. I began with a broad essential question: What is the most important strategy to employ when working with children ages 10-14?

While this exercise is an overly simplistic approach, it did allow me an opportunity to contemplate the many individual classroom strategies, approaches, and methods. I’m sure my pro/con list for each was woefully inadequate and many of you could debate my lists. Knowing that my process was flawed in many respects, I still found value in taking the time to sharpen my view. I would encourage you to take a few minutes, look at your own processes and designs. Spend time thinking about an approach of a colleague, especially if it’s different from your own. What’s the most important for our students? The key phrase is for our students. As I conducted this exercise I felt some déjà vu. I remembered going through this same process as a new teacher. I remember thinking, “What did that teacher down the hall do that was so successful?” I learned a lot then from our former AAKer’s, and I learned a lot in this current activity, too. Go ahead and give this a try.

Well? What’s your answer?

Knowing that I can’t just walk away at this point, I am compelled to share with you my concluding thoughts. While every individual strategy, approach, and method holds merit for measurable student results, few will be effective without one single concept: relationships. A positive relationship between a teacher and a student is the single most important factor in any aspect of teaching. Please do not mistake a positive relationship with being a “push-over” or relinquishing control. The teachers from my past who pushed me the hardest and obtained the most significant results were also my favorite. They weren’t my favorite teachers because they pushed me the hardest. They were my favorite because they took the time to understand and learn about me. As a result, they were able to maximize potential in a reckless, sarcastic child who preferred to sit in the back of the room. I had teachers who tried to push me without building the relationship, as I’m sure you did, too. The results from those classrooms were predictable; frustration.

I hope you have an opportunity this weekend to conduct a similar exercise. It was valuable for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment