Friday, October 12, 2012

Effectively Delivering Negative Feedback


There are times when we need to provide constructive feedback to others.  As a coach, I often found my players tuning me out or becoming defensive when I was attempting to better their performance.  I found that this occurred many times in the classroom, too.  My advice was usually accurate, but the message was seldom heard.  For a principal, teacher, coach, or parent, sometimes the process of delivery is just as important as the message.

During the early years of my coaching, I was fortunate to watch an interview with legendary coach John Wooden.  He explained his process of sandwiching constructive criticism between two positive comments.  I found this practice valuable.  My comments to the children were the same as before; but after employing this strategy I found that my comments were heard.  Providing a positive opening statement allows the listener to drop any defenses so that the feedback may be provided.  Allowing time for the listener to process the constructive feedback is important.  The final, and often overlooked, piece to “the sandwich” is the final comment; which ends the conversation on a psychological upswing.  This final comment is the motivation for the listener to modify their approach and to accept the feedback. 

To simplify this strategy, think of a well-constructed letter.  There is an introduction and greeting.  Traditionally these are written in a welcoming tone.  The body of the letter is the substance and the closing marks the writer’s appreciation and sincerity.  The sandwich strategy is very similar in nature. 

Enjoy the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment