Friday, March 29, 2013

Your Spring Break Assignment


This past Monday I had the opportunity to watch a pilot episode of 180 Days: A Year Inside an American High School on PBS.  While the episode focused on one particular high school in Washington, DC, I found relevance in the issues and trials these professionals, students, and families experience.  I highly recommend you watch an episode. 
 
During one segment of the show they presented an instructional coach working with a first year teacher.  I was impressed with the insightfulness of this coach.  Through observation and conferencing, she worked with this young professional and keyed in on many aspects that, with focused improvement, will lead to academic success.
 
During an epilog with this instructional coach, she made a statement which forced me to immediately grab my computer and begin typing this message.  She said, “You may think this is your classroom, but it’s the students.  You may think that it’s your lesson, but it’s the students’ lesson.”  I remember sharing a similar sentiment with you about the classroom being the students last year in the video, You've Got To Be That Light, by Jeff Goldstein.  However, the concept that the lesson plan is the students is something that I feel we all need time to think about.  A simple cognitive exercise for you this vacation:  Who are your lesson plans for?   

No comments:

Post a Comment